Contact Info

Mosaic Yarn Shop is located in Piccadilly Square:

3117 Franklin Rd SW Roanoke, VA 24014

(540) 685-2285


We are open everyday except Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas!

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 10-6
Wednesday 10-8 Saturday 10-5 Sun 1-5

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Meet The Purl Jam Teachers



JARED FLOOD aka Brooklyn Tweed

Jared Flood is an artist, photographer and knitwear designer based in New York City. A native of the Pacific Northwest, Jared moved to Brooklyn in 2005 to pursue his creative endeavors. He is currently working towards his MFA at the New York Academy of Art while doing freelance knitwear design for print and online publications, and teaching.

His designs have been featured in Interweave Knits Magazine, Vogue Knitting, and various book publications, including Son of Stitch n’ Bitch and Sensual Knits. He is the author of www.brooklyntweed.net.



Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton

There are painters and crafters on both sides of her family, but Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton has applied her talent in combining colors and structure to designing handknits.

Hamilton’s career started in New York where she developed her talent during the early 80’s. There she designed for the better knitting magazines and to a private clientele. The high point of her time in NY was a handknit collection under her own label that was sold to select boutiques in 20 states from Florida to Alaska.

A move over the Altantic to Mariefred, Sweden has given her the peace and harmony to live with her family and develop her artistic creativity even further. Here she has a small boutique, runs her business Hamilton Design and writes articles on knitting for American and Scandinavian publications. She is Head Designer for Noro yarns in Japan.




Annie Modesitt

A native of Ohio, Annie taught herself to knit at age 25 before a move from NYC to Texas. The Texas tenure didn't last, but knitting did, and upon her return to the NY area Annie began knitting for other designers and designing for major knitting magazines. Her work has appeared in Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting, Knitters Magazine, Cast On, Family Circle Easy Knitting, McCalls Needlework and several family oriented magazines.

Author of Confessions of a Knitting Heretic, Knitting Millinery and editor of the 2006 Accord Crochet Pattern A Day Calendar and the collection of fiber essays, Cheaper Than Therapy, Annie has contributed to many knitting books including Stich N' Bitch, Scarf Style, Wrap Style, the Vogue Knitting Book, and Weekend Knitting and Holiday Handknits. Twist & Loop (Potter Craft, 2006) and Men Who Knit And The Dogs Who Love Them (Lark, Jan 2007) Annie's the inventor of the astoundingly clever Flip Knit, a low tech, portable alternative to knitting videos.

Annie knits using the Combination Method and believes that there truly is no wrong way to knit. She lives in St Paul, MN with her husband, kids and assorted pets.


Personal Knit & Design History



In 1983 I taught myself to knit just as I was being transferred by my company from New York City to Dallas, TX. I completed my first sweater in a weekend and realized that my destiny lay in fiber and needles.

Dallas was not part of my destiny, though, and upon my return to NYC I began knitting for designers and eventually submitted my own designs to knitting magazines. I was hired by Vogue Knitting as a technical writer but unfortunately my unorthodox, self-taught knitting style wasn't - at that time - well received by the more established knitting world.

I continued designing for most of the major knitting magazines and yarn companies, but reaction to my knitting style (which didn't affect the final look of a garment) led to my decision to leave knitting and move into Costume & Set Design.

After the birth of my 2nd child, during a hiatus from television and theatrical design work, I happened to read an article by Priscilla Gibson Roberts in the Fall 2000 Interweave Knits Magazine. It changed my life. Her article was an outline of the major world knitting styles, and the method I'd been using was described as the "Combination (or Combined) Method."

The legitimization I felt when reading the article was a turning point in my life. I re-entered the knitting world - not just as a designer but as an instructor. I expose my beginning students the Combination Method as well as the various forms of the Western Method, but more importantly I stress the different ways of forming a stitch and convey an appreciation of how a stitch is seated on the needle.

The method a student uses to knit is entirely irrelevant when they participate in one of my advanced technique classes (Lace, Cabling, Colorwork, etc.) As long as a student can make a knit and a purl stitch, I can help them fulfill any knitting passion they possess.

My unusual method of knitting has also allowed me a tremendous freedom of scope - I am as comfortable knitting (and teaching how to knit) furniture, fine millinery, basic sweater design or knit embellishments.